Applications are invited from highly motivated students for admission to the Ph.D. Programme of Indian Institute of Science Education and Research – Thiruvananthapuram (IISER-TVM), starting August 2018.
Applicants must satisfy the following criteria:
- Master’s degree (A five-year degree after +2 level) in Biological Sciences/Chemical Sciences/Physical Sciences/ Mathematics/ Bioinformatics/ Agricultural Sciences/ Veterinary Sciences or a Bachelor Degree in Medicine (MBBS). The qualifying degree should have been obtained within 5 years as on 1st August 2018.
- The applicant must have a minimum of 60% marks or CGPA 6.5 on a scale of 10, or equivalent. According to your mark list if your CGPA is not calculated on a scale of 10, please convert the CGPA to a scale of 10 and enter in the space provided. Please mention this in the remarks column [See point-1 under the heading "Important Points" below for relaxation in the eligibility criteria].
- Qualification in one of the following national level tests, with validity as on 1st August 2018: CSIR-UGC-JRF/DBT-JRF (Category I)*/ICMR-JRF*/ Ranks 1 to 90 in GATE (Ecology and Evolution)** /JGEEBILS (GS-2018)***. Or the candidate should be eligible for DST-Inspire PhD Fellowship [See point-2 under the heading "Important Points" below for INSPIRE Ph. D. Fellowship].
* Only candidates whose ranks make them eligible to avail Category 1 DBT-Junior Research Fellowships tenable at any university/institution in India. Fellowships restricted to join DBT or ICMR sponsored projects are not eligible.
** GATE (EY) qualified candidates are eligible only for Ecology, Evolution and Behaviour. GATE exam scores for other subjects will not be considered for PhD admissions to IISER-TVM.
*** Candidates who appeared for the JGEEBILS 2018 test are eligible to apply. JGEEBILS candidates will be shortlisted based on the marks provided by the JGEEBILS examination organizers.
It is mandatory for all the candidates to submit a short research proposal of 300-400 words, which should clearly state a research problem you find interesting to address and how you approach towards solving this. While applying online, please upload this proposal under the section "Statement of Purpose". Please note: This proposal does not need to be related to the research ongoing at the School of Biology IISER-TVM. The proposal will be used to evaluate your scientific aptitude and will be a major criterion for short-listing candidates for the interview. Your application will be treated as incomplete if you do not submit the short research proposal.
Short-listed candidates will have to appear for interviews conducted at IISER-TVM. There will be two rounds of interviews, conducted over three days. In case of a high turnout of candidates, an entrance exam will be conducted (based on Master’s level Biology questions for 70% marks and 12th level Physics, Math, Chemistry questions-together 30%) on the first day of interviews. Hence, all the short-listed candidates must report at IISER-TVM on the first day of the interviews. The final selection of candidates will solely be based on your performance during the interviews.
Research Areas in School of Biology open for PhD students in this round of selection:
Applicants must satisfy the following criteria.
- The candidate must have a Master’s degree in Chemical Sciences with 60% marks or CGPA 6.5 on a scale of 10 [See point-1 under the heading “Important Points” below for relaxation in the eligibility criteria].
- The candidate must have qualified CSIR-UGC-JRF/GATE examinations valid as on 1st August 2018 or DST INSPIRE Ph. D. fellowship [See point-2 under the heading “Important Points” below for INSPIRE Ph. D fellowship].
- Previous research experience and quality publications will be considered as an added qualification.
The shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend an interview at IISER-TVM. The selection of the candidate will be based on the performance in the interview.
- Inorganic and organometallic chemistry
- Organic synthesis, Medicinal chemistry, Carbohydrate chemistry, Chemical Biology
- Organic Synthesis/DNA Nanotechnology/Supramolecular Chemistry
- Protein structure determination through NMR spectroscopy
- Inorganic & Materials Chemistry
- Development of new synthetic strategies, C–H activations and Asymmetric catalysis
- Planar pi-conjugated and extended macrocyclic systems
- Photochemistry, Photophysics, Nanomaterials
- Biomass conversion
- Theoretical Chemistry
- Ultrafast Spectroscopy
- Asymmetric synthesis and Catalysis
Applicants must satisfy the following criteria:
- Master’s degree in Physics, Materials Science, and Engineering in areas closely related to the interests of the physics faculty at IISER TVM. 60% marks or CGPA of 6.5 on a scale of 10 is desirable.
- Qualifying in one of the following national level examination with validity as on 1st August 2018: GATE#/CSIR-UGC-JRF/UGC NET-JRF/JEST-2018/INSPIRE Ph.D. Fellowship.
# Applicants with M. Tech need a GATE score valid as of 1st August 2017.
Positions are open in the following research areas:
- Experimental Condensed Matter Physics
Applicants must satisfy any one of the following criteria:
Master's degree in Mathematics / Statistics / in a relevant area of science with a minimum CPI of 6.5 (or 60% of marks) [See point-1 under the heading “Important Points” below for relaxation in the eligibility criteria] and
Qualified for CSIR/UGC-JRF/GATE/INSPIRE Ph.D. Fellowship/NBHM JRF Fellowship, valid as on 01 August 2018 [See point-2 under the heading “Important Points” below for INSPIRE Ph. D. fellowship].
- Qualified NBHM JRF Scholarship Written Exam 2018 and have received the NBHM interview call letter
- Master's degree Engineering / Technology in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 6.5 (or 60% of marks) with valid GATE score as on 01 August 2018.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering / Technology in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 7.0 (or 65% of marks), and a CSIR-UGC-JRF/NBHM JRF (or qualified NBHM JRF Scholarship Written Exam 2018 and have received the NBHM interview call letter) /GATE Fellowship valid as on 01 August 2018.
Applicants satisfying the above eligibility criteria will be shortlisted and be called for a written test followed by an interview. The selection will be based on the performance in the written test as well as the interview. The syllabus for the written test can be found at IISER website.
Candidates with valid NBHM JRF Fellowship or having INSPIRE PhD fellowship or having valid NBHM interview call letter need not appear for the written test and may directly appear for the interview.
Faculty research areas can be broadly classified as following:
- Algebra, Number Theory & Geometry: Linear Algebra, Group Theory, Commutative Algebra, Homological Algebra, Differential Geometry, Category Theory, Algebraic Geometry, Number Theorey
- Analysis: Functional Analysis/Numerical Functional Analysis, Harmonic Analysis, Wavelet Analysis, Operator Theory, Operator Algebra, Complex Dynamics, Ergodic Theory, Dynamical Systems
- Applied Analysis: Partial Differential Equations (PDEs), Control Theory, Image Processing using PDEs, Stochastic PDEs, Mathematical Finance, Financial Engineering, Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computing, Mathematical and Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Computational Sciences: Numerical Functional Analysis/Mathematical Finance/Financial Engineering/Mathematical Biology/Data Science Research/Applied Cryptography
- Normal relaxation to the eligibility criteria will be applicable as per government of India guidelines.
- Candidates who meet the minimum eligibility criteria for obtaining INSPIRE PhD fellowship as per the DST guidelines can also apply. In the event of shortlisting, and successful clearing of interview, the candidate shall be provisionally admitted for the PhD program. The admission shall be cancelled, if the candidate is unable to provide evidence for INSPIRE PhD fellowship at the time of registration.
- Applicants should complete the online application form in the url http://appserv.iisertvm.ac.in/phd
[Only Properly submitted applications would be considered. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Do not forget to click the “submit” button after completing your application]
- Applicants will also be prompted to upload all the supporting documents, like photograph, signature, community certificate and national level examination (CSIR/NBHM/Inspire etc.) online.
- Applicants should provide Name/Affiliation/Contact number and Email address of two referees in the application form.
GE/OBC [SC/ST/PH] applicants are required to make a payment of Rs. 500/- [Rs. 250/-] as processing fee through the https://www.onlinesbi.com/prelogin/icollecthome.htm
Choose Kerala -> Educational Institutions -> IISER Thiruvananthapuram -> PhD Application Fee
- On submission of the online application form, the applicants will receive an acknowledgment email with a unique application number.
- Applicants are NOT required to post hard copy of the application to IISER-TVM.
- In case of any application related queries, please contact by email, addressed to the PhD coordinator [firstname.lastname@example.org]. Other mode of communication will not be entertained.
- Mere fulfilling the eligibility criterion does not entitle a candidate to be called for the test and interview.
|Online Application will be available from
||2nd March 2018
|Last date of receipt of the application form
||05th May 2018
|PhD interview dates for School of Biology
||27-29 May 2018
|PhD interview dates for School of Chemistry
||06-07 June 2018
|PhD interview dates for School of Mathematics
||04-05 June 2018
|PhD interview dates for School of Physics
||13-14 June 2018